Join Our Team!
Landmarks is currently recruiting a spring 2022 Education Intern and multiple James Turrell Skyspace Attendants. Details below.
Education Internship / Spring 2022
Appointment: By semester. 10 hours/week, flexible within M-F 9-5pm with some evenings and weekends. Remote position.
Overall purpose of the position:
Landmarks is seeking an upper-level undergraduate or graduate-level intern to assist its active education department. The intern will support Landmarks’ education coordinator with a range of projects, including assisting with the launch of installations by internationally-known artists and developing programming for broad audiences.
Landmarks welcomes and respects all individuals and communities by valuing and consciously maintaining awareness of diverse perspectives and experiences. We believe inclusivity is critical to fostering excellence in all of our endeavors, and we promote diversity in our recruiting, hiring, and retention practices.
- Expand student involvement with Landmarks by proposing and designing programs and tours that appeal to students from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines
- Assist with volunteer recruitment, orientation, and coordination for Landmarks Docent program
- Assist with programming and staffing for campus-wide events such as Explore UT, Austin Museum Day, Austin Studio Tour and Girl Day
- Assist with developing curriculum for Landmarks Video
- Design and/or support collaborative public programming to establish stronger community partnerships with Austin arts organizations
- Identify themes within the collection and design new tours for UT classes, and the general public, for both in-person presentations and Landmarks’ mobile app
- Assist with content development for educational materials such as activity guides, audio guides, and self-guided tours
- Collaborate with other units on campus on new programming to reach students outside of the arts
- Other duties as assigned
- Enrolled as UT student
- Interest in art education
- Graduate student in Art Education
Career Competencies Gained:
- Articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written and oral forms to persons inside and outside of the organization
- Exercise sound reasoning to analyze issues, make decisions, and overcome problems
- Build collaborative relationships with colleagues and audiences representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, and viewpoints
To apply, please apply on Handshake
- Cover letter
- Three references
- 250-300 word statement explaining how the internship will further your professional goals
- 250-300 word statement of financial need (Students must demonstrate financial need with a written statement
Applications due: December 3, 2021 by 5 PM CST
Apply on Handshake
James Turrell Skyspace Attendant / Spring 2022
Hourly salary $11.00
Hours per week (3 hour shifts) 6-9 hours variable; Max 10 hours per week
Earliest Start Date 1/18/2022
Position Duration Spring Semester 2022, option to continue
Position open to all applicants
Location William C. Powers Student Activity Center
Number of vacancies 4-5
- The work schedule is flexible Monday through Sunday 4:30 pm-9:30 pm
Required Application Materials
- A Resume is required in order to apply
- A List of 2 References is required in order to apply.
- To serve as a visitor attendant for the Skyspace at the William C Powers Student Activity Center.
- Staff the rooftop kiosk adjacent to the Skyspace.
- Check people in who have made online reservations to visit the Skyspace. Accommodate visitors without a reservation by having them wait in a standby line. Encourage visitors without a reservation to sign up for mailing list
- Setup/take down the Skyspace check-in area.
- Introduce the sequence with a brief overview of the space, the artist, and sequence and answer general questions about the Skyspace and Landmarks
- Record and report number of visitors to the Skyspace as well as conservation and maintenance needs.
- Maintain crowd control practices and capacity limits in the space.
- Maintain accurate timesheet and submit every 2 weeks.
- Other related functions as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED. Experience following basic work instructions.
UT Student. Interest in art and/or architecture. Experience in customer service. Demonstrated excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills. Professional demeanor.
Must wear identification badge (provided). The Skypace attendant will work independently on the rooftop deck of the WCP which is exposed to seasonal weather conditions. The Skyspace is a semi-enclosed space with up to 25 visitors per night. In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, the Skyspace attendant will have to deal with masked and unmasked visitors and enter the space to convey guidelines, respond to questions, and connect with visitors.
Apply on Handshake